This ginger beer recipe was used by Audrey Saunders at the Pegu Club, her famous New York bar. It creates a spicy, non-carbonated ginger beer perfect for use in cocktails or mixed with a bit of soda water and simple syrup to make a refreshing ginger soda.
- Blender or food processor
- 1 quart Water
- 4 oz Fresh ginger
- 1 oz Sugar
- ½ oz Fresh lime juice
- Place water in the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cut ginger into small pieces and place in blender or food processor.
- Carefully add one cup of boiling water to the blender or food processor and process until it turns to mush.
- Add the remainder of the boiling water and sugar. Add lime juice. Allow the mixture to steep for one hour.
- Strain liquid through a fine strainer into bottle or jar. The liquid will be cloudy, that's expected.