This ginger beer recipe was used by Audrey Saunders at the Pegu Club, her famous New York bar. It creates a spicy, non-carbonated ginger beer perfect for use in cocktails or mixed with a bit of soda water and simple syrup to make a refreshing ginger soda.
This recipe creates a spicy, non-carbonated ginger beer reminiscent of what Audrey Saunders made at her New York bar, the Pegu Club. Perfect for cocktails like the Gin Gin Mule, it's also delicious simply mixed with sparkling water and some simple syrup as a refreshing soda. The version here is scaled to be a home size batch, most of us don't need to do it by the gallon.
- Blender or food processor
- 1 quart Water
- 4 oz Fresh ginger
- 1 oz Sugar
- ½ oz Fresh lime juice
- Place water in the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cut ginger into small pieces and place in blender or food processor.
- Carefully add one cup of boiling water to the blender or food processor and process until it turns to mush.
- Add the remainder of the boiling water and sugar. Add lime juice. Allow the mixture to steep for one hour.
- Strain liquid through a fine strainer into bottle or jar. The liquid will be cloudy, that's expected.